David Shannon's DSO on display at AWM

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi AJW,

I have a stone of Shannon's wife Ann at Clifton-Hamden with a mention of David which makes me wonder if it was just her grave and they placed him there as well without any other plaque or wording. I feel there is another plot for David however I am probably wrong.

What do you have?

Cheers

Geoff

2. AJW

AJW New Member

Spidge -

Both David and his first wife Anne (nee Fowler) were cremated. David is interred next to Anne at the church at Clifton-Hamden. Their daughter had lived in that area and Anne had always liked the church and its surrounds and wanted to be laid to rest there. David was placed next to her. I think one of the earlier posts on this thread showed a picture of his plaque.

Regards and good luck with your research. Is the product of your work available anywhere on the net?
    AJW

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi AJW,

Thank you for your information.

I am tied up with my project, Australians in the RAAF/RAF collection of 11,200+ Headstone and Memorial photos (i now have9,000+) of those who died during ww2 in 67 countries.

Whilst my main project is for those who died, I commenced the "Dambusters" collection as those who survived the war should also not be forgotten however I have still included a theme of headstone photos which I have been partially successful with. Time however has been my worst enemy of late.

My intention is to complete at least 90% of the collection, then place it on the website so relations, friends and others can access them for free. I will hopefully be able to fund the project myself by early next year.

With respect to the "Dambusters" collection, I am a long way forward with personal photos but well behind on photos of places of death. Hopefully, I will be able to dedicate more time and energy to this in the future.

Cheers

Geoff