David Shannon's DSO on display at AWM

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Long-term loan. I hope to get there this year so might get to see the medal.

Dambusters medal on show at War Memorial - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. DFC

DFC New Member

Hi Andy ,well you have to be lucky sometimes I am going to Canberra in august for a week so will be looking for sure ,along with all the rest at the AWM I walk past the 617 SQN memorial in Adelaide everyday on way home from work and see his name on the plaque and in May there always is a laurel on it for the mission will be great to see his DSO
    Cheers Tony

3. Antipodean Andy

Tony, there's a thread on here with reference to the building of the 617 memorial in Adelaide. If you have the time, would you mind posting a photo there please?

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

I am still chasing the last resting place of Dave Shannon in the UK to go with a Dambusters file I am putting together.

Anyone?

5. DFC

DFC New Member

Hi Andy ,yes i thought of that today not the post but to get a picture of the memorial only had a minute to get to my bus stop so did not take a picture .Will do so next day or so and post best couple.Really a lot of detail about them on the plaque.
    Cheers Tony :photo:

6. DFC

DFC New Member

ps for that matter will get pictures in Canberra as well at AWM
    cheers Tony DoH

7. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

You more than likely have this already ... but thought it might be of interest to others !

The Times
    Friday 16 April 1993
    David Shannon

8. liverpool annie

Not sure how to get this ... but I'll post it !! ....

AutoID
    DeptName
    Sound
    IDNO
    ProductionDate
    2/May/1984
    ObjectType
    IWM interview
    IndexObjects
    aircraft, British: Avro Lancaster
    IndexPeople
    Shannon, David J xxx
    Gibson, Guy P
    Wallis, Barnes
    Wallis, Neville Barnes
    Hopgood, J V
    Martin, H B
    Maltby, D J H
    IndexPlaces
    AU
    AU & South Australia
    GB, England
    GB, England & Scampton, Lincs
    DE
    DE & Mohne Dam
    DE & Eder Dam
    EI, English Channel
    IndexUnits
    GB.F & Sqdn, 617
    AU.F
    GB.F & RAF Scampton
    GB.F & Command, Bomber
    GB.F & Group, 5
    IndexConcepts
    Commonwealth
    ShortSummary
    Australian officer served as pilot with 617 Sqdn, RAF during Dambusters' Raid on Germany, 16/5/1943-17/5/1943 and during Operation Taxable deception on D-Day, 6/6/1944
    FullSummary
    REEL 1 Background in South Australia 1922-1940: family; education. Aspects of period as officer with Royal Australian Air Force in Australia, 1940-1941: background to joining Royal Australian Air Force; training; secondment to RAF and journey to GB 1941. Recollections of operations with 617 Sqdn, RAF in GB, 1943-1944: background to joining squadron at RAF Scampton; personal and professional opinion of Guy Gibson; other squadron members selected by Guy Gibson; rapid formation of unit; low level flying and simulated 'moonlight' flying; previous low level flying experience; emphasis in training on formation flying, low level and navigation; training routes across GB; parallel 'bouncing bomb' experiments determining height and speed for aircraft training; improvised means for determining accurate height of aircraft; equipping Lancasters with VHF radio; radio codes to restrict traffic on air.
    REEL 2 Continues: practising low flying over Lake District; hazards of low flying; formation flying; tight security and not knowing the target; arrival of modified aircraft and bombs; realising need to release bombs early during practise runs off Kent coast; serious attitude towards training; experience of personnel and intent of purpose; elation at news of operation; minor breach of security; unveiling models of dams at briefing; full briefing and target revealed; critical timing of operation; timing of three waves of aircraft; participation in first wave led by Guy Gibson to Mohne Dam; hazards and advantages of flying at low level; Guy Gibson's attack on Mohne Dam.
    REEL 3 Continues: Hopgood's attack and subsequent mid-air explosion; Martin's attempt; Maltby's successful attack; secure position of Eder Dam and difficulty seeing it; breaching Eder Dam; difficulties of visibility in attack on Eder Dam; view of Mohne Dam; atmosphere inside aircraft during raid; view of Eder Dam; adequacy of training; debriefing and subsequent party; high losses and value of raid; impression of Barnes Wallis and his distress at crew losses; description of Operation Taxable to simulate spoof landing of invasion force in Calais area, 5/1944-6/6/1944; necessity for precision flying and accurate timing of dropping window.
    ContextDescription
    Air Operations, 1939-1945: North West Europe, 1944-1945
    Air Operations, 1939-1945: Bomber Offensive, 1939-1945
    Duration
    NumberOfParts
    OtherFormats
    Full : 29pp
    MakerName
    Shannon, David John
    ProductionCompany
    IWM
    MakerGender
    Male
    Language
    English
    RelatedIWMItems
    See also talk on AC 16256; papers in file; Photos
    RelatedSoundFile
    025271S23.mp3
    008177S01.mp3
    Shannon-airwarfare.mp3
    Shannon8177.mp3
    Weighting
    SubThemeTag
    Technology
    WebStatus
    Published
    UncatTransferDate
    17 November 2006
    URLEncodedDeptName
    Sound
    Access
    IWM copyright
    Nationality
    Australian
    British
    DigitalAsset
    Y

Inmagic DB/Text WebPublisher PRO found 70 records

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Andy I want photos, or from whoever gets there first dammit!

Spidge do you know where the grave is?

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Kitty,

I have searched the net for hours and hours (last year) however I could not find details of the last resting place.

I possibly missed it somewhere if it is there.

Cheers

Geoff

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

bugger i'll start putting out questions and see what i can find. Sure he's buried in the UK? I thought he was buried in Oz.

12. Antipodean Andy

I believe he was living in the UK when he passed away.

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

He was living there for many years and died at Sydenham, South London. I know where he died but alas not where he was buried.

14. Antipodean Andy

According to this article, all of Shannon's medals and his uniform etc are on display. Excellent.

Dam Buster medals on display in Canberra - great photo at link.

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

Final Resting Place of Dave Shannon

A message received from Dave Shannon's Grandson has reminded me that I had not kept this thread up to date.

Dave Shannon is buried in the graveyard of St. Michael's Church, Clifton Hampden, Nr. Abingdon Oxon UK.

View attachment 3595

16. liverpool annie

Here's another ..... !! .... I forgot to post it - I saw it a few days ago !! :fish: .... is this yours Geoff ??

David and Ann Shannon’s headstones

Although David Shannon was an Australian, he stayed on in England after the war, joining Shell as an executive. He spent some time in both Colombia and Kenya before returning to the UK. He died on 8 April 1993, shortly before the planned 50th anniversary reunion of those who took part in the Dams Raid.

Shannon’s romance with Ann Fowler, a WAAF officer serving with 617 Squadron, and their subsequent marriage is a recurring theme in Paul Brickhill’s book, The Dam Busters. Ann Shannon died a couple of years before her husband and they are both commemorated with stones in the churchyard of St Michael and All Angels in Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire. The size of the stones would indicate that they were both probably cremated.

David and Ann Shannon’s headstones « Dambusters Weblog

17. Antipodean Andy

Good hunting, Geoff.

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

Not guilty your honour!

No, but he has another site besides the blog which I have read while doing research on David.

19. DFC

DFC New Member

Ok firstly i have been slack with holidays and going away re shannons group ok
    first yes the whole group is there not just the DSO secondly you need a searchlight to take a picture of the group which is very,very nice if you thought the vc groups are in the dark shannons group is pitch black took shots but flash totally destroyed any real picture so a waste and what is worse a flash or more general light !!!!!
    cheers Tony ps i have the adelaide dambusters picture and will post

20. AJW

AJW New Member

Spidge, are you still chasing those resting place details?