David Edwards : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Edwards, David played for Wales

Internationals: 1 : 1921 E-

David Edwards was born on 21 March 1896 in Glynneath

Played as a Lock for: Glynneath

Profession: Builder’s labourer/collier

War service: 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards, 3rd (Guards) Brigade, Guards Division

Remarks: Rhigos RFC coach. Joined the Rugby League (Rochdale Hornets RLFC) in 1921.

He died on 24 August 1960 in Glyneath

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

He's on the Welsh Miners list ..... Welsh internationals who worked in the mining industry

Dai Edwards (1 cap, 1921 - Glynneath)

http://www.wru.co.uk/15886.php

Debut - Five Nations 15th Jan 1921 | Team Wales, Opp England

This just mentions the game ... not him ! .... though you may pick up some information about the other guys !

In the first post-World War 1 meeting between England and Wales at Twickenham, in 1921, there were five players in the English team with Welsh links. Ernie Hammett and Reg Edwards were both playing for Newport. Hammett had played for Wales at amateur soccer against England and had turned down a Welsh rugby trial. Edwards was born in Pontypool, as was fellow forward Tom Woods. Another forward, Ernie Gardiner, was also Welsh born, while WJA Davies, the outside half, was born in Pembroke. The 15 point winning margin – 18-3 – stood as a record until 1990 when England won 34-6

http://www.rhigosrfc.co.uk/rhigoshistory.htm

3. liverpool annie

Here's a little background on the Hornets !!

4. liverpool annie

I've been looking for a Sgt Twigg ...... but there was this man ......

Pte 29427 Richard Twigg, 2nd Lancs Fusiliers, son of Fred and Martha Ann, 19 Rochdale Rd, Bury, later moved to 13A Chesham Rd, Walmersley, Bury, aged 24, people I have asked think he looks a more likely candidate !

Then I got this from Mark Hone ( the Bury expert !! :) ) .... this is the Richard Twigg from Chesham Road, Bury.

No info in his abridged biography of the 'Bury Times Book of Honour' that he was a rugby player. I don't have his full obit. from the BT to hand:
    'Private Richard Twigg (25) of Chesham Road, Bury of the Lancashire Fusiliers was killed in France on October 23rd 1916. He previously worked in Manchester and was on the Roll of Honour of St. Paul's and St. Mark's Churches'

And a picture ... just in case !!

Attached Files:

5. robco

robco Member

David Edwards also played twice for the Wales Rugby League team. He made his debut against England at Wigan on 7 February, 1923 in a game that Wales won 13-2. His second cap was alsop against England at Wigan, on 30 September, 1925. This time Wales went down 18-14.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Robco

Thanks. Every little detail helps.

Gareth