Dambusters described as "infamous"

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Seems that the revisionism of the bomber command campaign has finally taken hold

Sunday Express | UK News :: Memorial to ‘infamous’ hero

Me thinks a campaign of letters and emails, via The Express, is in order

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

...but the statue is not in Germany, it's honouring a brilliant inventor and fellow countryman and the Germans respect the raid.

Effing idiot. Oxygen thief, in fact.

3. John

John Active Member

What a bloody idiot the person who worked the inscription. Sounds like the do-gooders have struck again.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

I am lost for words!

5. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Dam Busters

I cannot see the inscription lasting in its present form as feeling is too strong regarding the word infamous!!!

6. rlaughton

rlaughton http://www.militarian.com/account/avatar

I suspect the person who made the plaque had no idea of the meaning of the word INFAMOUS versus FAMOUS. There are many here in Canada who are heroes of our nation who may have been infamous in the 1860's but are now famous. Louis Riel comes to mind as one.

I would suspect many of my cohorts would refer to me as the "Infamous Richard Laughton" which I would take to mean they at least recognize me, even if they did not agree with me!

I wonder what they call the bombing of the ports in Hamburg, or Dresden? Who are these people?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think the plaque maker knew exactly what he meant, as his final remark seems to indicate.

I wonder why a commissioned sculpter was allowed to choose the wording of the plaque too. I would have that was something to be decidied by the original committee and/or the local Legion. Or at the very least they should have been in control enough to verify and vet the inscription before it was unveiled. So I, personally, think that the committee is at fault too.

8. Antipodean Andy

Makes you wonder if he "altered" the Wallis statue in some way only known to him but as a silent protest.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Good news

Excellent result

Sunday Express | UK News :: Dambusters insult ditched

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

This is really an excellent result. Surely someone's head is hanging by a thread. I would like to know if the person who wrote "infamous" did it on purpose or did not know the difference between the two.

Also, why does the craftsman even have a say in the wording.

11. Antipodean Andy

A good result and the only way it should be.

12. Keith

Keith New Member

Mohne Dam

Hi Kyt,
    A nice little true story.
    Sometime about 1970 we had an Annual Camp near the Mohne Dam, I think it was Soest.
    And on a brilliant sunny day the local RMP C.O derived great pleasure in playing the Dam Buster March at full volume, just to annoy the natives.
    For anyone who may be interested here is a picture of the dam taken half an hour ago by myself via Virtual Earth.
    I brought it up to make sure I got the camp area correct.
    You can still see the damaged dark area on the face of the dam.

Cheers
    Keith

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I'm sure the locals had heard it many times ;)

On the subject of visiting the dams I saw a programme a few months ago called Last of The Dambusters which was very moving

New Series | Last Of The Dambusters | Press releases | Throng

14. Antipodean Andy

Magic stuff, Kyt. It would be nice if it makes it down here.

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

I would love to see the show down here. Hope it does get here Andy. After all the research I had done into the Dams raid, I never realised until a few months ago that the aircraft the three Australians were piloting in the first wave, all hit their target.