Curse of the "Lady Be Good"?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Adrian Roberts, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I expect most of us know about the B24 "Lady Be Good" which was discovered in the Libyan desert sixteen years after she disappeared in 1943. But is seems that not only were some parts of her reused, but her bad luck continued....
    Intriguing, but I wouldn't make too much of it!

Fact Sheets : Consolidated B-24D "Lady Be Good" : Consolidated B-24D "Lady Be Good"

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Certainly is intriguing but you're right in saying a pinch of salt needs to be taken with it. I was wondering why the parts were reused given the remote location needed to recover them from. Surely the older aircraft the parts were installed in could have had parts sourced from an easier source? Odd to say the least.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This is a very interesting article

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1973/mar-apr/holder.html

The final section explains why some pieces were re-used, though not why the Otter had the armrest, unless it was the pilot who used it as a lucky charm or something similar

4. Antipodean Andy

I wonder if she has a stigma around her now she's sitting in a yard in Tripoli?

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

So she does still exist? Can't be more than a shell now though.

Reminds me of the "jinx" of the Porsche Spyder in which James Dean died. It was used in road safety exhibitions; several more incidents were associated with it, and someone was killed when it fell when being loaded onto a railway wagon.

6. Antipodean Andy

AR, yep, a couple of years ago (ish), the Libyans recovered her quite sympathetically in order to save her from further degradation. No idea what their plans for her are though. A big shed with a lot of sand and a display of how she was found would be great - but not in the US, in Libya as that's where her crew were lost and, I reckon, a more fitting memorial.

Tobruk, not Tripoli apparently. All of the links and pics I saw previously are now dead. However, google - "Lady Be Good" wix - and you'll find a little bit more.

7. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

8. Antipodean Andy

That site looks like it's off to a good start, Annie.

And :> for mentioning books. I see you've been around Kyt too long...:lol:

9. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Heres something interesting ... :clapping:

Damn Interesting » The Remains of Lady Be Good

PS ... I'm surrounded by books myself .... don't you just love 'em !! :)

10. Antipodean Andy

A little too much!

11. Tony John

Tony John New Member

I am the only survivor of the Otter crash due to being pulled
    off of the plane before it left Wheelus AFB in Tripoli.
    If any of you are interested in my story, contact me at :
    teajae23@yahoo.com
    Tony John
    Woodstock,Va.

12. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

That is fascinating, but I do not believe in luck, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.