Criteria for CWGC

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by clivetemple, Jun 23, 2009.

1. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

What is the criteria for listing/burial by CWGC?

Would this man 'qualify'?

Serving with Royal Artillery in Germany in July 1945. Broke neck and died as a result of a swimming accident.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

If he was "in uniform" (i.e. a serving soldier) then yes he would be on the CWGC database, as long as he was British or Commonwealth (or serving specifically within British forces if from another country).

In the RAF that would be decribed as Died on Active Service, though not sure what the army would call it

3. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Thanks Kyt,

He's not on the CWGC database but I have his full obit from the newspaper. I'll send it to CWGC.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Can you give us a name, or attach the obit?

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Having tried to be helpful and inform CWGC of various errors and omissions, I think you'll find that they will want his entire service history from the National Archives, at a minimum, before they will alter or add to their records!

6. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Sgt. Frederick Albert M. Daborn, Royal Artillery, died 15 July 1945, Brussels following swimming accident in Germany. Aged 30.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

CWGC :: Casualty Details

Name: MARCH-DABORN, FREDERICK ALBERT
    Initials: F A
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
    Unit Text: 45 Regimental Holding Unit
    Date of Death: 15/07/1945
    Service No: 1119835
    Additional information: Son of Frederick Albert and Edith Mary March-Daborn; husband of Florence Bessie March-Daborn, of Knapp Hill, Surrey.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: X. 31. 1.
    Cemetery: BRUSSELS TOWN CEMETERY

8. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

LOL... well done Kyt.

There's something odd with that name, spelt wrong on the roll of honour (Marsh-Daborn), and never used in the school records (just Daborn, still a common name in the area)... a bit of inverted snobbery re double barreled names perhaps?

Thanks again.

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Reginald Kaye Duckworth

During my research into Australians in the AFC (Australian Flying Corps) I found this young cadet was not listed on the CWGC website.

I have set the wheels in motion for him to be recognised however the process is understandably slow even though I have the following information which is most of the criteria required for listing:

He is listed on the Australian Roll of Honour as Lieutenant, his service as Army and a Trainee of the AFC ,
    I have his death certificate,
    He is also known to have been the first Airman killed in Military Flying Training in Australia.

I am told this could take anything up to 12 months (to confirm or deny) as it is now in the hands of the Australian Government.