Corporal Elspeth Henderson and Sergeant Helen Turner

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Gage, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Gage

Gage New Member

Two of the women at Biggin Hill, for their actions on 1st September 1940 were awarded the Military Medal. Corporal Elspeth Henderson and Sergeant Helen Turner, both members of the Womens Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) Already the previous day when Biggin Hill was attacked, both women along with Assistant Section Officer Felicity Hanbury went along to the airwomens trenches at the request of the station chaplain. The trenches were close to the stores and the Guardroom and had received a direct hit. [4] The Station Officer was already there and ordered that everybody grab a shovel and dig like mad. Its not a pretty sight to see your first dead person, and although most of the girls were only shaken or had minor injuries, the dead had to be laid out and their bodies covered with blankets.

September 1st 1940

2. Jerome

Jerome Member

I was stationed at Biggin Hill in 76/77 and was told by several people - who swore blindly that it was true - that they heard female screams coming from the area of the old bunker. 2 persons also claim to have seen an airman in ww2 aircrew kit near the runway. All incidents happened very late at night. Whether alcohol had anything to do with it I don't know, but we all kept an open mind. Similar stories were around before, and personally I think there is something to it.

3. Gage

Gage New Member

There are a good few stories like that of old RAF stations going about.