conrad mcloughlin of Manchester Regiment then East Lancashire Regiment

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by porkpie, May 6, 2012.

1. porkpie

porkpie New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I wonder if anybody out there can help me with some research that I'm doing for a friend. I am looking at the service record of Conrad McLoughlin who joined the Manchester Regiment in 1914 (service no. 17428) as a private and embarked for France on 9th Nov 1915. At some point later, he transferred to the East Lancashire Regiment (service no. 33705), but I have no idea why this happened. Can anyone enlighten me?
    He was in 20th battalion Manchester Regiment to start and I have a listing for this group dated 1914-1916 from the internet. It was a listing of officers and troops plus service numbers for a platoon photograph. Conrad stayed with the East Lancashires after WW1 and eventually retired in the early 1950's with the rank of Colonel.
    Many thanks for any help.
    Roger Jones

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Roger,
    You don't give the rank on joining the East Lancs? Must have done well to go from private to Colonel. It looks like your man was promoted to officer status and then was transferred out to the East Lancs who may have been short of officers after a major offensive. Here is a run down of the 20th Manchester Battalion for you:
    20th (Service) Battalion (5th City)
    Formed in Manchester on 8 November 1914 by the Lord Mayor and City. Moved to Morecambe.
    April 1915 : moved to Grantham and placed under command of 91st Brigade in 30th Division. Moved to Larkhill in September 1915.
    November 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
    20 December 1915 : Brigade transferred to 7th Division and Bn then transferred to 22nd Brigade in same Division.
    November 1917 : moved with Division to Italy.
    13 September 1918 : left Division and returned to France. On arrival joined 7th Brigade in 25th Division.

The East Lancs of course fought in most of the theatres of war so without a battalion number i can't say where he may have fought.

Sniper

3. porkpie

porkpie New Member

Hi Sniper,
    Thanks for your input. Conrad moved from the Manchester Regiment to1st Bn ELR late 1916/early 1917. I had a response from another ELR expert who confirmed that the 33000 series of service numbers were issued to 1st Bn ELR during that time period.
    My guess he was still a private in WW1 but I know he cotinued his army service through to the early 1950's. He was commissioned in Dec 1940 from WO II to Lieutenant and was in India in summer 1945. 1st Bn ELR were in Western Europe all the war but 2nd Bn were in Africa in the early 40's then India/Burma from 1943-1945. He may have moved from 1stBn to 2nd Bn when he was commissioned but this is just a guess.
    Any other input from you will be much appreciated.
    Roger