Civilian NZ Casualty 1940

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Name: LAWSON, ALBERT JEAN
    Initials: A J
    Nationality: New Zealand
    Regiment/Service: New Zealand Civilian
    Date of Death: 23/05/1940
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 2.
    Cemetery: RECQUES-SUR-HEM CHURCHYARD

Lawson is the only civilian New Zealander listed on the CWGC for WW2. At first I thought he may have been a casualty of Dunkirk but his death predates that by a few days. Being buried near the last stages of the fighting implies he was in the direct vicinity, but who was he and how did he die?

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Not an answer to your question yet K but there are only 3 CWGC graves in that churchyard 1 WW1 and 2 WW2 ....... this is the soldier from WW1 ( one of my regiments !! ) .... I've put out an APB on the other two .... !!

Recques-on-Hem is a small village about 18 km north-west of St.Omer on the D 217, east of the N 43.
    The single UK burial of the First World War is on the churchyard of Private CJ Rump.
    There are also 2 burials of the Second World War.

RUMP CHARLES JOHN
    United Kingdom Private The King's (Liverpool Regiment) "C" Coy 20th Bn. Age: 37 Date of Death: 12/07/1917 Service No: 235326

RUMP
    Charles John
    Private 235326. "C Coy 20th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Formerly 5283 Yorkshire Regiment. Died Thursday 12 July 1917. Age 37. Born and lived Aylsham. Enlisted Cromer. Only son of Joseph and Harriet Rump, of Aylsham; husband of Mabel Rump, of Aylsham, Norfolk. Buried: RECQUES-SUR-HEM CHURCHYARD, Pas de Calais, France. South of church.

Name: RUMP, CHARLES JOHN
    Initials: C J
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)
    Unit Text: "C" Coy 20th Bn.
    Date of Death: 12/07/1917
    Service No: 235326
    Additional information: Only son of Joseph and Harriet Rump, of Aylsham; husband of Mabel Rump, of Aylsham, Norfolk.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: South of church. 3.

3. liverpool annie

I wondered if the other soldier was maybe a casualty on the same day as your Albert but although close ... the answer is no but unusual dating ! interesting .... have you been researching Albert K ..... ?

Name: JOHNSON, WILLIAM
    Initials: W
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
    Unit Text: 3 bty., 6 H.A.A. Regt.
    Date of Death: between 18/05/1940 and 22/05/1940
    Service No: 1071399
    Additional information: Son of Charles Edward and Ellen Johnson, of Birmingham; husband of Dorothy Lilian Johnson, of Selly Park, Birmingham.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 1.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Here's another from the unit with no exct date

BECK Alexander

Gunner 3184334, 12 Bty., 6 H.A.A. Regt., Royal Artillery who died age 32 between 31 May 1940 and 2 Jun 1940. Son of Mrs M. Beck of Penpont. Remembered with honour DUNKIRK MEMORIAL.

5. liverpool annie

I found this .... is this any good ??

ROYAL ARTILLERY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

www.army.mod.uk/documents/ general/rasearchlightstextfinal.doc

6. liverpool annie

My Kiwi friend has been to the NZ archives once with no luck but said he will go again next week ... as now he's curious too ..... :) I've found out Albert Jeans date of birth was 24 November 1915 but I don't know where !!

There was a lot of fighting in the area around the time in question - look at this map from wikipedia ...... ( not that they are always 100% correct !! )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/21May-4June1940-Fall_Gelb.jpg

See where the red arrows split between Calais and Gravelines - the village in question is in there !

It's an education for me looking for WW2 ... !!!!!!!

Annie :)

7. liverpool annie

I meant to add this .....

DUNKIRK

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thank you for looking around Annie. I was hoping that teh NZ Official WW2 history may have something but can't find anything. From the map you posted it does look like he was caught up in the fightig, but I am still intrigued what a NZ civilian was doing there.

9. liverpool annie

I got this message this morning ..... it's been a while - but I hope you enjoy them Kyt !

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thank you Annie, and please thank your contact. I look forward to hearing more

11. liverpool annie

Kyt !

Albert Lawson came from New Zealand where he was born on 24/11/1915. He had arrived in Europe to study music. He resided in Dendermonde in Belgium. The civil status does not give any information on the second soldier since it is mentioned as a victim french unidentified. These two soldiers fell at the same time, in the center village, road Zouafques during a skirmish !

I also have a French report of the incident ( I think thats what it is .... :noidea: )

I'll write it out when I get a proper translation !

12. KimNZ

KimNZ New Member

Re Albert Lawson

Hi there, I just stumbled across your posts and thought I could be of some assistance! Albert Lawson is my great-uncle. His mother, my great-grandmother, was born in Belgium and met my great-grandfather during WWI. From my family’s understanding, my great-grandmother had Albert, or at least was pregnant with him before she met my great-grandfather in Belgium during the war. She became a war bride and her and Albert travelled with my great-grandfather back to New Zealand.

When Albert was older he decided to study music in Belgium. We have relatives in Dendemonde and it is my family’s belief that he must have stayed with them during this time. Unfortunately, my family history is a bit patchy however. For some reason we think Albert decided to join the war effort and on his way to enlist, he and the two others he was with were ambushed by German soldiers in Recques-sur-hem. I would be fascinated to know if you have dug up anymore information on Albert!

Kim.

13. NZGH

NZGH New Member

I am a volunteer with the 'NZ War Graves Project', and we have just begun investigating the unusual case of Albert Jean Lawson. While his death is registered on the Commonwealth War Graves database, his name is missing from the official list of NZ dead supplied us by the NZ Government. It's a mystery trapped in a riddle!

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

What do the NZ Government have to say about his omission? He must have been on a NZ passport.

15. KimNZ

KimNZ New Member

I'm not sure if he would have had a NZ passport or not. He was actually born in Belgium and emigrated to NZ with his mother and my great-grandfather in 1919. Interestingly my Dad seems to recall someone telling him that Albert worked with the British Intelligence. If this is true, I wonder if that is why he still had 'civilian' status. Is there are way to find out if he was working for the British Intelligence? I suppose they keep records...

16. spidge

spidge Active Member

That is what I get for making a presumption:embarassed:

17. meeanee

meeanee New Member

Hi

Coincidently, a visitor to the Auckland War Memorial Museum where I volunteer enquired of this person yesterday. If you are able top obtain any info on what Lawson was doing, it would be much appreciated. The visitor didnt know the answer either but was tyrying to reconcile NZers on CWGC database against the Official NZ casualties list.

Phil

18. liverpool annie

I apologise to everybody ... I must have been under a rock or something I didn't realise there were replies here ... so I apologise again ! :doh:

OK ... this is going to be long .... and I'm not too sure about the translation ... but I believe you will be able to get the gist of it !!

I received this via email .......

19. liverpool annie

continued ..........

20. liverpool annie

Today I received a personal message from somebody in New Zealand about Albert .... he was a relative of theirs ! ........ I invited them to join us on the thread ... between us - maybe there will be some answers revealed about what happened to Albert !

First of all there is the issue about dates .... the above says the 22nd of May ... CWGC says 23rd of May and the person who PM'd me says the 25th of May ...... I really don't think that that is critical ... the main thing is the details about what happened ! ....

lets share our knowledge ! ... maybe we can find out about Albert once and for all and then we can let him rest in peace !

Annie