British POW Experiences In Italian and German Camps

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War' started by Kyt, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Hi, this is my first post. I am working writing a book on the Prisoner war camp PG 73 in Carpi (Modena) Italy. Can anyone help me in any way? Thnaks

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

4. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Thank you Andy in West Oz

What I'am looking for are dieries, stories, etc. (pubblicshed or noti) of Allied prisoners of war who were in the camp PG 73 Fossoli (Carpi). I know it isn't simple but.... I'am trying.:help:

5. Antipodean Andy

Remind me to check Peter Dornan's Nicky Barr - Australian Air Ace as he spent some time as a prisoner in Italy. You never know...

6. dalesmith

dalesmith Guest

Hi
    My grandfather was in PG73 from about 1942. I have most of his diary and notes from this time. I would be happy to help with details

7. Antipodean Andy

Had some time to check the book but Barr spent time in Gavi, Prison Camp No 5 - Il Campo di Concentramento Numero Cinque per Ufficiale Pericoloso - Concentration Camp No 5 for Dangerous Officers. Prior to this he spent time at Ospitale Clementino at Bergamo.

8. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Carpi

Hi,
    if you have a friend living in the UK that can visit The National Archives for you there are a few files that could help with the book.

TS26/456 "Carpi Mass Murder TS26/717 General File on Carpi. TS26/789 Carpi impossition of collective penalties.
    The class TS is the Treasury Solicitors. There are further files that contain Reports made by the Red Cross when the visited the Camp.

Brian

9. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Carpi

Thanks Brian. It's my lucky week :dance: So much help from everyone. It's great. I will be visiting the National Archives before summer ends and the informations you gave me are precious. I would never have looked up yhe class TS. Thanks a lot:happy:
    Marco

10. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Pg 73

Thank you dalesmith. I appreciate a lot you helping me. :clapping: When I worked on the PG 49 (Fontanellato - Parma) I could rely on many autobiografies written by pow who spent some time in the camp. This time I have found only one. Diaries and notes become therefore very important for the type of research I am trying to complete. Thanks a lot.
    Marco

11. Antipodean Andy

Marco, have you PM'd Dale?

12. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Pg 73

Sorry, but I don't understand what "PM'd Dale" stand for :poster_oops:!
    Marco

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

PM means private message.

You can either clik Dale's name and click Send Message, or click Private Messages at the top right corner just under your username, and then click Send New Messae from the menu on the right.

14. Appomatox

Appomatox Guest

Thanks. Yes I have and it looks like I will be able to add several diaries to the documents for my book.
    Thank you.

15. mindy_mandy

mindy_mandy New Member

pow camp PG73

:irvine:
    my late father pte. (louis) reginald watson . No, 4122505,
    2nd battalion, cheshire regiment was captured in tobruk and posted as missing on 28th -29th june. taken as POW to camp pg 73 in carpi , italy.
    i have a photo of him in that camp dated oct 28th 1942.
    whilst on an outside working party repairing the local roads, he escaped by hiding down a culvert and fled to the mountains, aided by the resistance he lived rough until the italian capitulation
    my father never spoke about the war to me (i was only 15 when he died )
    this information was passed to me by a former work colleague of my fathers.
    i have various cuttings etc which tracked me fathers wartime experiences.
    contact me by email or tel. 01782512262
    regards
    geoff watson

16. Antipodean Andy

Goeff, we would be most grateful for a thread about your Dad so if you have the time to post some info, go for it please!

17. mindy_mandy

mindy_mandy New Member

have done
    see thread: pow camp PG 73 .Carpi in Italy. reg watson

18. Antipodean Andy

Cheers, Geoff.

19. Donna

Donna Guest

Prisoner of war diaries for PG 73

Hi, this may be a bit late but I a POW diary transcript. My grandfather was in PG 73 for most of 1942 until September 1943 when the Italians capitulated. He was then moved to stalag 11a in Germany. I can email you a copy of what I have typed up if this will help. I also have copies of the letters he wrote from the POW camps

20. Theo

Theo Guest

Pow PG Carpi

Hi
    I know it might be a bit late but I have recently recieved some info about my Father who was a Pow in Carpi in 1943,I have some of his poems about his time in carpi but also quite interesting I have a list of names in the back of his book if you are interested which I could Email to you,I know he was in tubrook also but I don't know how he got out from there into Carpi.