Britains Small Wars - Europe (1949-1989)

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by spidge, Nov 4, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Read more here: http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Cold-war/index.html

Britains Small Wars - Europe (1949-1989)

Text from Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace Address"
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]made by Winston Churchill on 5th March 1946 at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri. This speech includes the famed 'Iron Curtain' passage which garnered international attention, and was one of the most influential speeches of its time.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

For me and my colleagues, the cold war was our main area of responsibilities in our military service. Most British " teeth arm " (combat) units spent a lot, if not the majority of their time based in West Germany as part of the NATO shield. We did not regard it as operational service though, and we "cold war warriors" tend to feel we were a peacetime army. Servicemen of my generation tend be a little short on the medal front and it is a shame that a "British Forces Germany" medal was never issued.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  3. groundhugger

groundhugger Member

Well they were committed to Part occupy what was to be West Germany and Austria , also policing /interfering in GreeceĀ“s civil war directly postwar . Then ex Colonial scraps with Cyprus EOKA, then the civil unrest of Northern Ireland
    Outside of Europe was the unravelling of the British Empire/Commonwealth and the Middle East ,but thats a whole new can of worms .