Book on German-Japanese Cooperation?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by GearZ, Jan 31, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

Hello all. Some years back, I read a great book on the (failed) attempt of the Germans to engage in coalition warfare in Europe entitled Germany and the Axis Powers: From Coalition to Collapse. It covered in great detail the cooperation, and in many cases lack thereof, between the European countries in the Axis. It did not, however, go into any detail in German-Japanese joint efforts. While I realize they were minimal, I would curious to read more on how the two powers interacted during the war. Would anyone have some book recommendations? Thank you!

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

3. GearZ

GearZ Member

Thank you, Diptangshu! I had not heard of that documentary. As it is on Youtube, I will watch it today. I've bookmarked that booklet to read later. Thanks again. :)

4. GearZ

GearZ Member

I watched the Samurai and the Swastika today and thoroughly enjoyed the documentary. Thank you for the link!

It did, however, generate a tangential question. In the film it noted that Italy had a plan to attack the US with seaplanes. It appears around, roughly, at the one hour mark. Would anyone have details on this planned attack? Any sources in print? Thanks!

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Well, from my point of view I can tell that such Italian plan was not worth enough to give a good thrust to the country like Ameica, instead of Japanese carrier-subs' (like I-25) activities were more irritating for the country.
    Anyway, for your interest, it is here :
    http://threats.greyfalcon.us/
    Thanks a lot GearZ.

6. GearZ

GearZ Member

Thank you Diptangshu. Yes, the Italian attack plan appears to be pretty half-baked. Even if successful, it is hard to imagine it would be all that disruptive.

7. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

There's these . . . both from the US Army's Combined Arms Research Library . . . period piece reports . . .

First, a 1945 War Department / MIS report on German technical aid to Japan . . . it's in five parts and you'll have to down load them one by one . . . link is part I.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/881/rec/7

Second pretty much the same subject, only this one produced by ONI, also in 1945, and in 10 parts . . . again you have to download one by one to get the whole thing . . . link is part I.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/1879/rec/13

Some mildly amusing light reading . . .

8. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Uh .... you just lured me to go straight for a vac of 2 days alongwith your pages, R Leonard!

9. GearZ

GearZ Member

Thank you for the links, R Leonard. I've downloaded both for later reading. I think I will roll these over to the tablet too. :)