Best Introduction to WW2?

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kitty, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Elsewhere where i am a member a girl is asking what would be the best history book to buy for a friend who is into military history. After much questioning by a number of us, we got her to finally tell us he appears most interested in WW2, and so suggestions were welcome.

But thinking about it, without the recipient being interested in any single theatre or warfare typology, what would you suggest he read?

2. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Don't know if my view as another novice helps but as an absolute "newbie" myself, I asked a similar question less than a year ago and I was advised to read:-
    Crucible of War by Barry Pitt
    Master of the Battlefield by Nigel Hamilton
    I personally do not find either easy to read (hats off again to you guys!!!).
    I am however enjoying reading Ron Goldstein's recommendation Wartime Britain 1939-1945 by Juliet Gardiner, probably because it focuses on the Homefront rather than the military aspects.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

You'll have to let us know what you think of Gardiner's book, Nana. I've heard her speak on Radio 4 and tellie and she sounds like a very interesting writer.

You may also enjoy Amazon.co.uk: London 1945: Books: Maureen Waller which I really enjoyed, especially the descriptions post VE Day, the election etc. All from the perspectives of the Londoners themselves.

My favourite "general" books:

Amazon.co.uk: The Second World War: Books: Martin Gilbert
    Amazon.co.uk: Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-45: Books: Max Hastings
    Amazon.co.uk: Blood, Sweat and Arrogance: The Myths of Churchill's War: Books: Gordon Corrigan
    (the Amazon reviewers are not really fair - I loved the book)
    Amazon.co.uk: Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-45: Books: Max Hastings

and this will probably turn out to be just as good:
    Amazon.co.uk: Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45: Books: Max Hastings

and the Antony Beevor books are well worth a read:
    Amazon.co.uk: antony beevor: Books

This is an excellent book:
    Amazon.co.uk: To the Victor the Spoils: D-day and VE Day, the Reality Behind the Heroism: Books: Sean Longden