Bert Jenkins

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, Dec 11, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Do you know this Bert Jenkins ?? :confused:

Bert Jenkins was a Welsh former rugby union and professional rugby league footballer of the 1900s, '10s and '20s who at representative level played for Great Britain, and Wales, and at club level for Wigan, playing at Centre. Before turning professional and joining Wigan, Jenkins played for rugby union club Mountain Ash in South Wales.
    Bert Jenkins won caps for Wales while at Wigan in 1908 against New Zealand; and in 1909 against England, and won caps for Great Britain while at Wigan in 1908 against New Zealand (3 matches), and Australia (3 matches); in 1909 against Australia (2 matches); in 1910 against Australia, Australasia (2 matches), and New Zealand; in 1911 against Australia; in 1912 against Australia; and in 1914 against Australia, and New Zealand

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

I don't know of him, but I haven't researched Rugby League players unless they'd previously played Rugby [Union] at international level.

Gareth

3. liverpool annie

Oh ... I read it wrong ... I just read this bit ...
    :rolleyes:

4. robco

robco Member

Bert Jenkins played 391 games for Wigan either side of WW1 znd scored 555 points, including 183 tries. The 1908 Wales v New Zealand game was the first rugby league international ever played. The GB v NZ game on the same tour was the first rugby league Test. He was on the winning side in both. His Wigan career stretched from 17 December 1904 to 11 September 1920. He helped Wigan win the Lancashire League 6 times, the Lancashire Cup 4 times, the SW Lancashire League twice and the Rugby League championship for the first time in 1909.
    Hed scored a try in Wigan's victory over the New Zealand tourists in 1907, giving him a triumph at coub as well as Wales and GB levels against the Kiwis. He also scored tries in Wigan's two wins over the 1909 Australian tourists and enjoyed another victory against them in 1911.

5. liverpool annie

Sounds like he was pretty good Robco !! :)

Thank you for that .. I'll pass it along to my friend !

Annie :)