Arthur Walderne St. Clair Tisdall VC

Discussion in 'Military Biographies' started by liverpool annie, Nov 14, 2009.

  1. liverpool annie

    liverpool annie New Member

    The following link provided further information on Tisdall and also an account of the private sale of his Victoria Cross in 2005.

    Attached Files:

  2. liverpool annie

    liverpool annie New Member

    In Memory of
    V C

    Anson Bn. R.N. Div., Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 24
    on 06 May 1915
    Son of Rev. Dr. Tisdall, D.D. (Vicar of Deal), and his wife, Marian L. Tisdall, of St. George's Vicarage, Deal, Kent. Scholar of Trinity College, Cambridge; B.A. (Double First Class Classical Honours); Chancellor's Gold Medallist, Cambridge; First Class Clerk, Civil Service (Treasury).

    Remembered with honour

    Arthur Walderne St. Clair Tisdall was 24 years old, and a Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, (Anson Bn., Royal Naval Division) during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

    On 25 April 1915 at V Beach, Gallipoli, Turkey, during the landing from SS River Clyde, Sub-Lieutenant Tisdall, hearing wounded men on the beach calling for help, jumped into the water, and pushing a boat in front of him, went to their rescue. He found, however, that he could not manage alone, but with help from other naval personnel he made four or five trips from the ship to the shore and was responsible for rescuing several wounded men under heavy and accurate fire.

    He was killed in action, Achi Baba, Gallipoli, Turkey, on 6 May 1915.

    Arthur Tisdall (Trinity 1909).

    At Cambridge Tisdall joined the OTC, rowed in his college first boat and took a Double First in Classics.
    At the outbreak of the First World War he enlisted as an Able Seaman in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve and was soon promoted to Sub-Lieutenant. On 25 April 1915, the first day of the Gallipoli landings, the former collier SS River Clyde was being used as a Trojan horse to land large numbers of troops when it encountered a torrent of machine- gun fire from well-dug-in Turkish forces. Hearing wounded men crying for help, Tisdall jumped into the water and, pushing a boat in front of him, made four or five trips to rescue the wounded, all the time under heavy and accurate fire. On 27 April, he wrote home: ‘Have been under fire… all day spent in burying soldiers… Plenty of hard work and enemy shells, and a smell of dead men’.

    By 6th May - he too was dead, shot by a sniper and buried where he fell.

    Attached Files:

Share This Page