Around Australia for the Royal Flying Doctor Service

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Nostalgair, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi All,

I thought I'd touch base to let you know one of the reasons that I've been scarce on the forum.

I am currently in the midst of organising a flight around Australia in order to raise funds for a charity and national icon; the Royal Flying Doctor Service. (RFDS)

There's lots to do, but it's also proving to be a lot of fun.

If you want to know a bit more or keep up to date, the website is There and Back :plane:

Cheers

Owen

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

How exciting Owen ! ....... I'll certainly bookmark your site !

Flying Doctors are not in the news too much around the world .... though I remember many years ago watching a TV series ... and was enthralled with all the sense of adventure of it .... though I know it was a very demanding life !

Good Luck with the endeavour !

Annie :)

3. Reccemitch

Reccemitch Member

Owen, Good Luck with your endeavour.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Owen,

I thought I heard on the radio that they had taken the contract away from the Flying Doctor Service for Air Ambulance flights.

Can you confirm.

Cheers

Geoff

5. John

John Active Member

Good on you Owen. Your doing a wonderful job.
    :plane:

6. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Thanks All,

Geoff the contract has in fact been lost for many of the services in Victoria. There's an article from 'The Australian' here Rivals Undercut the Flying Doctor! Let’s support RFDS! |

The RFDS holds the contract around the rest of the country, but faces a greater challenge over coming years from corporate entities. From my understanding, the companies primary goal is to create profits for the stakeholders, whereas the RFDS reinvests their 'profit' back into the operation.

Just another reason to get behind this great Australian icon. Royal Flying Doctor Service

Cheers

Owen

7. John

John Active Member

Thank for letting us know what is happening to the Flying doctor service, Spidge and Owen.
    The service began in 1928 and I have added their website for anyone who may be interested in this wonderful service who saved many lives of our rural area people over 80 odd years

Royal Flying Doctor Service
    :car:

8. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Maybe it's time for the RFD service to become more business like rather than just concentrating on Govt funding/protection and public donations. As in this little part of the world called Australia capitalism rules.

I personally feel it should be protected to a certain extent, however down here in Victoria their is no area more than a couple hours chopper flight away from capital city and their hospitals. And with it's long history of capitalism of what were Govt run/funded organisations which were privatised several years ahead of other parts of country, It was just a matter of time before the RFDS began to decline in services in Victoria. As the Police have choppers for ambulance work along with the Paramedic/Ambulance organisation having some as well, and with all the others private and public companies wanting contracts for aerial Paramedic/Ambulance work, the old RFDS is in for a very rough time ahead unless it moves ahead as a organisation

9. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I've been a supporter of the RFDS for a few years now so it's a wonderful venture, Owen. All the best with it. Hope to catch up with you face-to-face again in the near future now we live in the same state.

10. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Andy,

Welcome back and looking forward to catching up.

Cheers

Owen