Arlington National Cemetery

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

My friend sent me these pictures ..... thought you might like to share ! :)

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
    Know the line has held, your job is done.
    Rest easy, sleep well.
    Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
    Peace, peace, and farewell...

Readers may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

2. liverpool annie

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. liverpool annie

5. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

I have visited Arlington and it is very impressive. I think any veteran can be buried there.

6. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Thanks for the post Annie.

I saw a documentary on Arlington and its history when I was in the States last year. It is a fascinating place with a very rich tradition.

Cheers

Owen

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

While not "interesting" as most on this list, it is interesting nonetheless in how this lad came to be buried there and to finally have a known resting place.

View attachment 2496

In Memory of
    Pilot Officer FRANCIS DEBENHAM MILNE

33516, Royal Australian Air Force
    who died age 25
    on 26 November 1942
    Son of Francis Rupert and Mignonette Milne; husband of Nance May Milne, of Southport, Queensland.
    Remembered with honour
    ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

I have not been able (purely due to time limitations) to track down the circumstances of the other RAAF personal interred in the US.

MILNE, FRANCIS DEBENHAM Pilot Officer 33516 6 Troop Carrier Sqn 1 Administrative Wing USAAF 26/11/1942 Sec. 34. Coll. Grave 4754. ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

SCOTT, RONALD WILLIAM Leading Aircraftman 13732 2 MD BRANDON RCAF 12/02/1944 Sec. 138. Row E. Grave 12. LOS ANGELES NATIONAL CEMETERY

MORRIS, LLOYD ASHWIN Flight Lieutenant 419326 25sq 12/08/1945 Sec. E. 153. SAN BRUNO (GOLDEN GATE) NATIONAL CEMETERY

CLAPINSON, HENRY WILLIAM Sergeant 6109 HQ RAAF Attch USAAF 19/03/1944 Sec. 84. Coll. grave 402. ST. LOUIS (JEFFERSON BARRACKS) NATIONAL CEMETERY

KEOGH, GERARD MICHAEL Flying Officer 266551 HQ RAAF Melbourne 30/08/1943 Sec. 82. Coll. grave 34. ST. LOUIS (JEFFERSON BARRACKS) NATIONAL CEMETERY

MACKAY, WILLIAM ALEXANDER Sergeant 414624 41 RDF Attchd 63 Bomb Sq USAAF 30/06/1943 Sec. 84. Coll. grave 403-405. ST. LOUIS (JEFFERSON BARRACKS) NATIONAL CEMETERY

HAWTER, EDGAR HORACE Flight Sergeant 406129 90 Bomber Sqn USAAF 26/07/1942 Sec. W. Coll. grave 17527/9. VICKSBURG NATIONAL CEMETERY

9. liverpool annie

Heres 1 ..... !

Ronald William Scott ( - 1944) - Find A Grave Memorial

10. liverpool annie

11. liverpool annie

12. liverpool annie

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Annie,

Fantastic sleuthing. Not that I have tried to look for these on Find a Grave, however whenever I do look up a name, they are not there. Proves you should never say never.

A couple of interesting facts about this lad.

His date of death: 12th August 1945

His suburb (Ivanhoe) in Victoria, Australia is where I was born and lived for 30 years. My brother still lives there.

14. liverpool annie

15. liverpool annie

16. liverpool annie