Anthony Henniker-Gotley : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Henniker-Gotley, Anthony Lefroy Henniker played for England and Great Britain

Internationals: 6 : 1910 F+ S+ ; 1911 W- F+ I- S-

Great Britain [non-capped] international match: 1 : 1910 Argentina +

Anthony Henniker-Gotley was born on 2 March 1887, in Tysoe

Played as a Scrum half for: Tonbridge School, Oxford University (Blue 1909), Blackheath, Barbarians, Surrey, Kent

Profession: Political officer in Tanganyika 1918-1923. Called to the Bar 1923. District Commissioner Tanganyika 1923-1926. In business in Durban 1926-1933. Bursar and assistant master at St Columba’s College, Dublin, 1934-1936. Temporary Education Officer RAF from 1936. Served in the RAFVR as a Flight Lieutenant in Fighter Command, promoted to Squadron Leader 1941. A civilian Substitution Officer with the RAF 1945-1947.

War service: North Rhodesia Police; served in East Africa

Remarks: Played for Barbarians: v Leicester (9-9) in 1909. Went to Argentina on the RFU tour in 1910 and played at fly-half in the 28-3 victory in the international match. Moved to Rhodesia in 1911. Called to the Bar in 1923.

He died on May 1972

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

This is just all snippets I'm afraid Gareth ... I just can't find much at all and I've been looking for hours ... but I'll keep looking !! :)

Anthony Henniker-Gotley
    England
    Full name - Anthony Lefroy Henniker-Gotley
    Born - March 2 1887 Tysoe
    Died - circa 1972 Torbay
    Major teams - Great Britain XV, England
    Position - Scrum-half

Snippet *
    He was a pupil at West Downs School Winchester, Hampshire - West Downs was a boarding school for boys aged between eight and thirteen ... known as the "snob" school ! ... they do have a Roll of Honour which I will post even though Anthony isn't on it .... it's an interesting list of men

http://www.westdowns.com/rolhonor.htm

It seems he played a lot of cricket too !!

WEST DOWNS - 1st XI - Cricket 1899-1988

6th June 1906 Tonbridge School v Dulwich College Tonbridge School Ground

He is listed in the Inner Templars who volunteered and served in the great war

* Results in 1910

26 May - beat Olympic A (Argentina A) 17-13
    29 May - beat Belgrano Athletic Club 58-0
    2 June - beat Argentina 39-5 B
    6 June - beat Buenos Aires 28-0
    12 June - Argentina beat 28.3 on 12 June 1910
    17 June: - Beat Argentinos (Argentine born Native Americans =) 41-10

* Part 2 of the passenger list of the S. S. Modessa. P&O and British India Steam Navigation Companies. Leaving Kilindini, Kenya Colony on 1st November 1922.

Only names are given - no other details - I left the whole manifest as it is ... in case somebody else can see a connection between him and other passengers !!

Attached Files:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks for the extra detail.

Gareth

4. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Found this on a family tree !

He's another one who's the son of a Vicar !

All Saints Church and Parish in 1925 - Revd George Henniker Gotley MA, Vicar.