Annie's Letter .......

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jun 9, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

My heart breaks for this Annie .... I wonder if she ever got to go :(

Annie Munro’s letter to the Prime Minister asking for government assistance to visit her sons’ graves, 19 November 1928

Annie Munro lost three sons in war. Norman, 19, died at Gallipoli three days before the Australians were evacuated. Despite exhaustive investigations, his grave was never found. Roy, 23, was killed in France, and Eric, 26, was bombed by an enemy aircraft in London. Both were buried near where they died.

In 1928 Annie wrote to Prime Minister Stanley Melbourne Bruce inquiring about financial assistance to meet the heavy cost of visiting her sons’ graves in Europe. The Prime Minister’s Department denied her request, as setting such a precedent would create great demand.

http://www.naa.gov.au/whats-on/online/showcases/shell-shocked/munro-request.aspx

In Memory of
    Private NORMAN ALEXANDER MUNRO

1111, 28th Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
    who died age 19
    on 16 December 1915
    Son of John James and Annie C. Munro, of "Novar," Grange St., Claremont, Western Australia. Native of Melbourne.

Remembered with honour
    LONE PINE MEMORIAL

In Memory of
    Sergeant ROY CAMPBELL MUNRO

1876, 28th Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
    who died age 22
    on 26 February 1917
    Son of John James and Armie Caskie Munro, of Grange St., Claremont, Western Australia. Native of Melbourne, Australia.

Remembered with honour
    WARLENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

In Memory of
    Gunner ERIC JAMES GARFIELD MUNRO

12305, 2nd Bde., Australian Field Artillery
    who died age 24
    on 16 February 1918
    Son of John James and Annie Caskie Munro, of Grange St., Claremont, Western Australia. Native of Melbourne.

Remembered with honour
    BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Just as an aside ..........

American mothers whose sons were buried overseas were called Gold Star Mothers and they were able to make a pilgrimage to their son's grave at the government expense.

( Learn more about this program at article: "World War I Gold Star Mothers Pilgrimages" by Constance Potter and at "America and the Akins Family Lose a Son" from Marty Beatty )

Why couldn't the other countries do that ??

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Unfortunately, it's not all that surprising. The thought of potentially having to subsidise thousands of relatives on trips to Europe and the Middle East would have horrified the mandarins in Treasury.

Incidentally, Stanley Melbourne Bruce was known as the only sitting Prime Minister to loose his seat in a General Election until John Howard repeated the feat in November 2007.

Gareth