American Women in Service

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Nov 10, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

During World War I, Army and Navy Nurses, although official members of the armed forces had no rank – they were neither officers nor enlisted personnel – simply nurses.

Flossie Esther Brownlee, of Farmersburg Indiana, served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I, died October 21, 1918 in New York City

Hannah Lora Burden of Inwood, Indiana, served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I died October 26, 1918 at Camp Sherman Ohio of pneumonia.

Sister M. Camilla of Lafayette, Indiana served as an Army Nurse during World War I. She died on November 29, 1918 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Lafayette of influenza.

Florence Leclare of Indianapolis, Indiana served as an Army Nurse during World War I. She died on October 8, 1918 at Camp Devens Massachusetts of pneumonia.

Flora Ruth of Indianapolis Indiana served as an Army Nurse during World War I. She died on October 2, 1918 at Camp Pike, Arkansas.

Rose Rapp of Jeffersonville Indiana served as an Army Nurse overseas with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. She died on October 4, 1918.

Crystal McCord of Washington, Indiana served as an Army Nurse overseas with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. She died on December 18, 1918.

Ethel Leach of Fairmont, Indiana served as an Army Nurse during World War I. She died on October 1, 1918 at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland.

Grace Copland of Lebanon, Indiana served as an Army Nurse overseas with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. She died on October 31, 1918.

Lettie May Berry of Franklin, Indiana served as an Army Nurse overseas with the American Expeditionary Force at Base Hospital # 32 in France during World War I. She died on December 30, 1917.

Grace Buell of Roanoke, Indiana served with the Army Nurse Corps overseas in France with the American Expeditionary Force at Base Hospital # 32. She died on October 8, 1918.

Patricia Byron of Fort Wayne, Indiana served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I. She died on March 28, 1918 at Camp MacArthur, Texas.

Margaret Hamilton of Minevah, Johnson County, Indiana served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I with American military medical personnel overseas at General Hospital # 23, a British Hospital near Etaples, France. She died October 22, 1915.

Grace Coulter of Livonia, Indiana was working in the Marine Hospital at Louisville Kentucky when she died on September 18, 1920.

Information compiled by Judith Bellafaire, Ph. D., Chief Historian, Women’s Memorial Washington, D.C.; Jan Mattingly, Volunteer, Indiana War Memorials and Donna Marie Schmink, Museum Staff, Indiana War Memorials.

2. liverpool annie

Flossie Esther Brownlee, of Farmersburg Indiana, served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I, died October 21, 1918 in New York City

BROWNLEE, FLOSSIE ESTHER - Red Cross Nurse

Daughter of John McNabb and Martha Zink Brownlee, (James and Emma Branson, foster parents); born November 3, 1882, near Farmersburg, Sullivan County, Ind. Graduate of Protestant Hospital, St. Louis, Mo. 1906. In charge of Child's Welfare Department, at Fordham Hospital, New York, and a student at Columbia University. Enlisted as Red Cross Nurse September 1, 1918, New York. Preparing to go overseas when she became ill, and died of influenza October 21, 1918, New York City.

Buried near Farmersburg, Sullivan County, Ind.

Hannah Lora Burden of Inwood, Indiana, served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I died October 26, 1918 at Camp Sherman Ohio of pneumonia.

BURDEN, HANNAH LORA - Nurse

Daughter of Amos and Ida Burden; born July 31, 1889. Inwood, Marshall County, Ind. Graduate of Geneva Hospital. Seattle, Washington. Member of Indiana State Nurses Association. Three times made application for work in Red Cross; rejected because of weak heart. Answered emergency call during the influenza epidemic; sent to Camp Sherman, Ohio, October 11, 1918, where she died of pneumonia October 26, 1918.

Buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Argos, Ind.

3. liverpool annie

Grace Copland of Lebanon, Indiana served as an Army Nurse overseas with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. She died on October 31, 1918.

Copeland, Grace, b. 19 Aug 1890, d. 31 Oct 1918, dau of TS & ME, Base Hospital No. 68 ANC-A.E.F., Died in Service, Stone #40
    Buried - Center Cemetery Lebanon, Boone County, Indiana

Margaret Hamilton of Minevah, Johnson County, Indiana served in the Army Nurse Corps during World War I with American military medical personnel overseas at General Hospital # 23, a British Hospital near Etaples, France. She died October 22, 1915.

REPORT ON THE WORK OF THE NURSING STAFF OF THE CHICAGO UNIT - (No.23, General Hospital) - Death of Miss Hamilton

On 21.10.15., Miss Margaret Hamilton, one of the original members of the Unit, was taken suddenly ill with cerebro-spinal meningitis. She was admitted to the Sick Sisters’ Hospital, Etaples, and unfortunately died next day