Air Vice-Marshal Reggie Bullen RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Air Vice-Marshal Reggie Bullen - Telegraph

Awarded the George Medal.
    Gazetted on the 14 September 1945
    Flight Lieutenant Reginald BULLEN (125303), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    On the night of the 19th April, 1944, this officer was navigator of a Wellington aircraft which crashed on landing and burst into flames. The aircraft was totally destroyed and four members of the crew were -killed. Flight Lieutenant Bullen was thrown through the side of the aircraft as it burst open and sustained fractures of the left leg and right arm, and a slight fracture of the spine. The heat was intense and ammunition was exploding." There was also the additional danger that eight depth charges might explode at any moment. Despite this and hisi severe injuries Flight Lieutenant Bullen made his way inside the blazing aircraft to the wirelpss operator and dragged him to a safe distance, clear of the flames. When the ambulance arrived on the scene Flight Lieutenant Bullen was in great pain and was quickly removed to sick quarters. His very brave and gallant action, performed when suffering such intense pain from his own injuries, undoubtedly saved the life of the wireless operator.

1 person likes this.
  2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Perhaps the most gallant and driven feat I have read recently. With his back and leg and in his gear, he would have struggled to walk. When he finally got to the W/O, he only had one working arm to help him! Then there was the threat of the ammunition and the depth charges. Amazing and inspirational.

I note his time with 39 Sqn with no small measure of excitement. Haven't come across him yet in my readings. Kyt, have you checked Armed Rovers for a mention? He doesn't ring a bell. I will check my We Find and Destroy - the 458 Sqn history - for reference to this crash as it'll be in there. 458 lost 135 men during its service. This crash equates to 2.9% of those losses.

The Cambridge history is also impressive. Will have to keep it in mind next time I see photos etc.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nothing in Armed Rovers mate. This is the ORB page for 458 but is difficult to read. Hope you can find the right aircraft serial because what I think the ORB says doesn't match the aircraft crash date or crew.

Attached Files:

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Name: McMILLAN, HERBERT RUSSELL
    Initials: H R
    Nationality: Australian
    Regiment/Service: Royal Australian Air Force
    Date of Death: 19/04/1944
    Service No: 409574
    Additional information: Son of Herbert Arthur and Gertrude Alice McMillan, of Thornbury, Victoria, Australia.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Prot. Sec. (Officers'). Plot E. Coll. grave 23.
    Cemetery: MALTA (CAPUCCINI) NAVAL CEMETERY

Name: WAGSTAFFE, JOHN MICHAEL
    Initials: J M
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 458 (R.A.A.F.) Sqdn.
    Service No: 1219231
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Prot. Sec. (Men's). Plot F. Coll. grave 49.

Name: WILLIAMSON, ROBERT HENRY
    Initials: R H
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 458 (R.A.A.F.) Sqdn.
    Service No: 1252008

Name: HUNTLEY, ARTHUR JOHN
    Initials: A J
    Nationality: Australian
    Regiment/Service: Royal Australian Air Force
    Service No: 410488
    Additional information: Son of Percy William and Nellie Jane Huntley, of Merricks North, Victoria, Australia.

The survivor

Service Record
    Name CLARKE, HERWALD GRAHAM
    Service Royal Australian Air Force
    Service Number 412940
    Date of Birth 5 Jul 1908
    Place of Birth HABERFIELD, NSW
    Date of Enlistment 15 Aug 1941
    Locality on Enlistment Unknown
    Place of Enlistment SYDNEY, NSW
    Next of Kin CLARKE, MARTHA
    Date of Discharge 16 Oct 1945
    Rank Flying Officer
    Posting at Discharge 10 ADVANCED FLYING UNIT
    WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display
    Prisoner of War No

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

6. Antipodean Andy

Here's the pages from the 458 book mentioned above where the crash is covered. The swamp referred to at the end of the second page is, something new for me, the practice of keeping a continuous stream/relay of aircraft over an area where a submarine was known to be operating - the belief being it would eventually come up for air.

I knew this book was excellent (there are a couple of minor errors) but flicking through it has brought it near the top of the "to read" list! Well, it'll be read before the year is out anyway! LOL.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

8. Antipodean Andy

Amazing lads. In the time it took me to scan and post, you guys had added all of your posts above this one! What resources you guys have at your fingertips!

Sobering that Huntley had already survived a crash.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Attached Files:

10. Antipodean Andy

Huntley's first crash details is the fifth paragraph down. One of two survivors of a ditching.

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

12. Antipodean Andy

I wonder if one of the other aircraft that pranged on that night was the JA... serialled aircraft?