Air Commodore Pete Brothers

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/3884594/Air-Commodore-Pete-Brothers.html

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A truly great man. Sounds like he would have been quite the character to meet. RIP.

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

What a long busy life he had ! ( must have been the cigars and the malt whisky :) )

"Pete" Brothers was convinced that speed was the key to success in air combat. Brothers had his rigger delete the drag-inducing external rear-view mirror atop the windscreen and fit a curved car mirror (bought locally from Halfords in Bromley) inside the cockpit instead! He also instructed the airman to file down the aircraft's wing rivets in order to further reduce the level drag. Brothers would often lend his rigger a hand between sorties completing this task. The end result was the fastest Hurricane on the squadron by at least 5 mph, according to its pilot. Brothers further personalized "his" fighter by having a "Blue Peter" flag painted below the cockpit. Brothers flew P2921 throughout July/August 1940, during which time he was credited with destroying eight German aircraft (six Bf109Es, a Bf110 and a Do 17). Brothers ended the war with 16 confirmed victories.

Flight Lieutenant 'Pete' Brothers - Pilot Portraits - Aviation Art by Geoff Nutkins

Air Commodore Peter Brothers CBE, DSO, DFC* - Art prints and originals signed by Air Commodore Peter Brothers CBE, DSO, DFC*

4. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

A VERY sad loss.

A tremendous man who encapsulated the spirit of 'The Few'.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Owen

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

A very sad loss; he was probably one of the most prominent WW2 RAF pilots left. And I wonder if there is anyone else left who flew Gloster Gauntlets?
    And married 66 years!

6. Cherry

Cherry Guest

Pete Brothers

Does anyone know if there is a mention of Pete Brothers' passing away other than the Daily Telegraph obit? I am an old family friend and I would liketo send my condolences to Annette. My father who was Ronnie Harker ex Rolls Royce, was a good friend of Pete's and we all shared a lunch after they both had been to the Palace after their investiture. If there is going to be a memorial service later I would like the information but it is not always easy as I can miss the announcements in the press. So if any one out there has any info please let me know.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

There doesn't seem to have been any announcements in The Times or Telegraph about a funeral or memorial