Abbreviations

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by clivetemple, Jun 9, 2009.

1. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

These are abbreviations from a school magazine so may not be official but I think they relate to units, any ideas?

RCS - Royal Corps of Signals?
    RSC

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Can you quote a paragraph to give us context?

RSC isn't a unit acronym but in the contemporary military means Recruit Selection Centre. However, it could be the magazine's acronym for RASC - Royal Army Service Corps

3. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

I can give an example from memory, this is how it appears in the mag referring to a list of those on active service...

Navy
    Fred
    John
    Dave

AAF/RAF
    Tom
    Dick
    Harry

Army
    Steve
    Jim RE
    John
    Mick RSC
    Bob RCS
    Tom

I can't tab the initials but they are not the initials of the person, that precedes their names. As RE (presumably for Royal Engineers) is one abbreviation I assume the others are unit or corps abbreviations. It's not RASC, that's also used 'sic' for other individuals.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The other possibility is Royal College of Surgeons - the letters were used for those in the medical profession, be they army or navy e.g.

R.N.V.R.
    To be Tempy. Surgn. Lieuts. (D).
    28th Dec. 1939.

D. Lennie, L.D.S., R.C.S., D.D.S.,
    K. A. Johnson, L.D.S., R.C.S.,
    A. McPherson, L.D.S.,
    C. M. H. Jones, L.D.S., R.C.S.,

5. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

One to ponder, thx Kyt.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I can't find anything for RSC

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I've seen RSC before, but am desperately trying to recall what it was. Was there just a Royal Service Corps? No Army in there?

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Rsc

Hi Kitty,
    The previous title of the Royal Army Service Corps, was the Army Service Corps, the honourary title "Royal" was granted late 1918.
    A quick browse on the net will give you the exact date, if you are interested.
    :kiss:
    Cheers
    Keith

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Cheers Keith, so that leaves us with what is RSC?

10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Bingo! Modern RSC is Recruit Selection Centre - where new recruits go to be tested and put through their paces before beign accepted.

11. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

That's what Kyt said !! :) great minds think alike !!

The only thing I can think of is ..... that the "C" is a "G" and it would be the Royal Scots Greys !!!! :headhurt:

12. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Do you think this would be noted on a list headed 'Also Serving With HM Forces'?

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

If he was posted their for duties rather than induction then yes, possibly. If you have their full names or initials then we could look on the LG incase they were officers - officers' promotions etc were Gazetted against the unit they were serving in

14. Keith

Keith New Member

Be it by any other prefix there are none fairer than the Royal Shakesperian Company.
    :drama:
    Salutations
    Keith