A naval version for Warhawk?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Lawrence1967, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Lawrence1967

Lawrence1967 Member

I share with you some pictures of fighters Curtiss P-40 operating aboard aircraft carriers or on the flight deck. Some questions for aviation and history enthusiasts of WW2. There was a naval version of the P-40? Which countries have used during the war and which Operating Theatres? To view photos visit the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/curtiss-p-40-em-porta-avioes.html

Best Regards,

Lawrence

2. Nice find!!! I will do a little digging and see what I can find out for you sir.

3. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

Before you go to a lot of effort . . .

1. All those P-40s you are seeing on carrier decks were simply being transported from Point A to Point B. All of them were loaded aboard via crane. Some of them were off loaded in the same fashion, some were flown off. Nobody landed P-40s on carriers. All of them were USAAF, none of them were USN. This I can tell you without actually looking at the photos . . . because there were no USN P-40s, something easy to check. Could a USN pilot fly a P-40? Certainly, my father, a USN fighter pilot during the war, had at least on P-40 flight recorded in his log book, but it was a borrowed USAAF P-40.

2. If you respond as if you are having a discourse with the original poster, you will wait a long time for an answer . . . he does not answer.

3. What this poster does is post, on a weekly basis to some 30 various military, naval, historical interest, WW2, whatever forum sites, using various identities and various locations around the world from which he claims to be posting, with something along the lines of “look what I found, come visit my web page.” He is evidently only interested in running up his hit count. None of what he “discovers” is particularly new. All of the photos he has snatched from other websites. And lately he’s been repeating himself . . . his comments on P-40’s and aircraft carriers he first posted, in his usual manner, over a year ago. This is what he posted then:

The Operation Torch (initially called Operation Gymnast) was the British-American invasion of French North Africa, specifically Morocco and Algeria, in World War II during the North African Campaign, started on 8 November 1942. The Operation Torch was the first Allied amphibious operation of the war. The USS Chenango loaded and shipped 72 P-40F airplanes of the 33rd Fighter Group at Norfolk, VA, on 10-21-42. The carrier steamed for North Africa on 10-21-42. The P-40s were launched off of the carrier on 11-10-42 and established a base at the airport at Port Lyautey, French Morocco. On 01-19-43, The USS Ranger launched USAAF P-40 aircraft off Accra, Gold Coast to reinforce Allied forces fighting in North Africa. Some photos of P-40’s transport and operations onboard US Carriers, can be found in the link . . .

Same guy, same invite to the same website, so it is not like he doesn’t know what his pictures are portraying.

Frankly, anyone who sends the same message to 30 or more discussion sites (the number seems grows all the time) with multiple identities is, plain and simple, a spammer.

4. Ya that is pretty much what I ended up finding. I did not know about the original poster though. I have looked at a few of his posts but never really thought of it as spam before however it does make sense now as I have tried to discuss things with them before to no avail.

5. GearZ

GearZ Member

Ouch! While I've found Lawrence's posts (e.g., the Stuka variant, etc.) interesting, I'd have to agree that spamming these kinds of things to multiple boards is more than a trifle distasteful.