70 years ago today ....

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by GearZ, Dec 15, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

Seventy years ago today, December 16, the German's launched Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (Operation Watch on the Rhine). It is better known as the Battle of the Bulge. It was the largest land battle that the US Army has ever fought and was the bloodiest of WWII for American forces. It also was the last major offensive on the Western Front by German forces.

Anyway, I just thought I'd note the anniversary and perhaps start a thread in which we can discuss the famous battle.

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

I have before me a book which explains how and why the northern column of Panzers was stopped: The Damned Engineers by Janice Holt Giles. It tells how the commander and men of the US 291st Engineers (Combat) Bn. was instrumental in frustrating the German drive toward the Meuse River.

As it happened the 291st was tasked with "housekeeping duties"(road maintenance and repair) near St. Vith extending westward along the route the 9th & 10th SS Panzer Div. planned to use. As the 291st had a radio-net they were able to alert their companies and detachments in the rear of the German breakthrough, and they in turn made roadblocks and strongpoints. Time and again the Panzers were thwarted, turned, and made to burn precious petrol. As it turned out the westernmost outpost of the 291st happens to mark the place where the Germans were finally stopped.

A few years ago I had the honour to meet Lt Col Peregrin, commander of the 291st.