4th Battalion Cameron Highlanders, 1940

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Hugh, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Admin/Mod's apologies if this is in the wrong forum can you please shift if necessary.

This is probably a difficult one but I will try posting anyway as nothing ventured nothing gained.
    I am trying to help a mate with his father's Army service. We have his records for WWII and, according to them, the 4th Battalion Cameron Highlanders embarked for France 26//01/1940 disembarked France 28/01/1940.

Does anyone know the name of the troopship and from where that they embarked on? I have tried the War Diaries at Kew but they seem to start from the arrival in France.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Hugh

2. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Hugh
    Have you tried www.convoyweb.org? Mike Holdaway only lists one convoy from the Bristol Channel to Loire on 26th January 1940.

Hope that helps

3. 51highland

51highland Member

Not sure of place of departure but 4th Camerons were at Aldershot and Bordon, before they sailed. some camerons were quarantined because of a Measles outbreak.
    4th Camerons disembarked at Havre from The Lady of Man
    A company was billeted in Bolbec, the point of de-trainment. B company went to Gruchet. Remainder of battalion went to the Lanquetot and Bolleville area.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

I was just reading about the Lady of Mann trying to track the SS Manx who was sunk on this day in 1940.

I.of Man S.P. story

The company's ships accounted for 1 in 14 rescues from Dunkirk.

5. 51highland

51highland Member

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Thanks!

Thank you lady and gentlemen, this is good news, I never expected to get close on this one. I am sure my mate will be very pleased with this.

Regards and many thanks again
    Hugh