£100 million for a footballer?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've just been channel hopping whilst I get ready to go shopping. And I just heard someone on BBC's Sports programme say something about a £100 million transfer fee!! Now, I don't like football, and I had necer heard of this player called Kaka. But £100 million?!!! What the hell is happening to the world? Since when was a sportsman ever worth so much. I used to think the amounts mentioned before were ridicilous but this.......? Especially when people can't even afford the tickets to go and see him play.

How can AC Milan spend £100m on Kaka in a recession? - Telegraph

The article also talks about other player's pay - average Premier League salary is £1.1 million. Eh? What? How? Why?

Shouldn't it be the doctors, nurses, teachers etc who should be getting payed properly?

OK, I need to calm down before I snap at the bus driver or something.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

One of my great loves is football, especially English League Football. I am fortunate that due to todays technology I can see several live games a week either on T.V. or the computer.

However the game is spiraling out of control in this day and age. It's not the game it used to be when I was a lad watching the likes of Stanley Matthews weave his magic.

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

And a VC Holder gets PDS1,495 a year

5. Gage

Gage New Member

Kaka is about right.

6. war hawk

war hawk New Member

If you think that is bad the Boston Red Sox ( MLB team) paid 50 mil just to talk to Daisike Matsuzaka ( A jap baseball player) to see if he wanted to be a Red Sox player. He plays for the Red Sox and is a good pitcher. Hi David Layne, Is there any chance that you like the NFL?.

7. John

John Active Member

I also think that sportspeople are paid far to much money. The Australian cricket team are all very well paid, but all I hear now is the whinge from them that they are playing to many games. Soccer teams around the world are paid unbelievable sums of money. Where does all that money come from ???
    :mmph::behindsofa:

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Most of the money comes from merchandising, the cost of tickets and the money they get from the TV channels to show the matches. These are the average ticket prices for the Premiership clubs (Jan 2009):

* Aston Villa £15-£39
    * Arsenal £47-£92
    * Blackburn Rovers £16.60-£27.40
    * Bolton Wanderers £20-£35
    * Chelsea £40-£65
    * Everton £29-£35
    * Fulham £40-£55
    * Hull City £20-£25
    * Liverpool £37-£39
    * Manchester City £29.50-£36
    * Manchester United £25.45-£46.98
    * Middlesbrough £26-£34
    * Newcastle Utd £20-£45
    * Portsmouth £32-£41
    * Stoke City £35-£42
    * Sunderland £28-£33
    * Tottenham £42.10-£73.40
    * West Bromich Albion £25-£40
    * West Ham £48-£63
    * Wigan Athletic £19.50-£29.50.

9. Gage

Gage New Member

Been a Liverpool fan since I was seven years old but I would never pay that much to see them.
    :bottled0wl:

10. David Layne

Went to Anfield once supporting my club Forest. European Cup game resulting in a 0-0 draw and Forest advancing!

Is Liverpool Annie red or blue?

11. John

John Active Member

Thanks for the ticket prices Kyt. I like Arsenal but it would cost me 100 dollars
    Australian to see them. No way I would pay that much to see any sports.
    :jaw::eek:mg:

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Did you take maid Marion?

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

My late (very cockney) wife was a mad West Ham supporter however I could never imagine her paying that amount above.

14. David Layne

No she was a Sherwood Forest supporter, I support Nottingham Forest.

Went to Upton Park once too Spidge.

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

16. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Those prices are unbelievable! How on earth could a family afford to go regularly as a group? Perhaps this is why the terraces became the stomping ground of the thugs!

I actually dislike football (mostly because of the behaviour of the grossly overpaid players) but I have an alliegance to Spurs (geographical and family) and am amused to see that they are one of the most expensive ..... not related to performance then????